What were the amendments?
Senator Polley explained that her amendments would have:
- required that individuals be told if their data has been breached;
- increased the penalty for unauthorised use or disclosure of information; and
- made explicit that the Commonwealth will be custodian of data in the register.
Find out more about the bill
The two bills under discussion are the:
- National Cancer Screening Register Bill 2016
- National Cancer Screening Register (Consequential and Transitional Provisions) Bill 2016
Together, they create a National Cancer Screening Register. Read more about them in the bills digest.
See OpenAustralia for the motion text.